Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Delivery Time! Johnny's Trading Spot Sends a Small Flat Rate Box My Way!

Because of the group break madness over the past few weeks, I have quite a backlog of trade envelopes to get through.  I also have two (yes, TWO) different Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Boxes to show off, both from different people.  Since the Priority boxes are each completely stuffed with cards, I figured I'd start with one of those today!

Today's box is courtesy of John over at Johnny's Trading Spot.  I sent John a decent sized stack of Braves and in return he offered me some Reds and a bunch of assorted Pacific cards.  I've decided that I want to try to complete many of the Pacific sets from around the turn of the century...and so I figured getting a nice sampling of cards would help me figure out which sets to focus on first!

When I opened up the flat rate box, I was floored by John's generosity...he clearly sent me a lot more than I sent him...but it's not always quantity that beats quality.  However, in this case the quality of what John sent me was high as well - and so now I need to start saving up some more Braves to send his way!

Since John packaged up the cards so nicely, I can rip into one of the four brown packages per post - otherwise this post will be way too long!

As I mentioned before, some of the trade box consists of Reds, others Pacific cards.  By chance, the packet that I picked first was full of Reds (approximately 70 of 'em)!

It's probably no surprise that I first went through the stack and picked out any of the Barry Larkins - the most valuable Reds cards to me!  In this particular stack, I found four Larkins - two of which I don't believe I owned until now!

That was a fun surprise...and growing my Barry Larkin Collection makes me happy!  The 2001 Donruss card is actually labeled "sample" so it will be yet another oddball in my collection (and one that I'm happy to have since I'm always on the lookout for oddball Larkin cards)!  I might have the Classics card, it seems vaguely familiar but as of now it's not part of my online collection which is all I have to go by in terms of cards I do and don't own.  I really need to take the time to at least type up a list of all the Larkins that I own...

The rest of the packet held assorted Reds - it was hard to pick out my (non-Larkin) favorites...but I managed to do it.  There were some Reds from the glory days.

The Concepcion is an '83 Donruss - so if you want to see what true vintage Donruss looks like check out that set (rather than the current Donruss fake throwback stuff that was released this week).  The Foster is pretty psychedelic - and that's cool by me.

Next, a few Sean Casey cards that caught my eye.

The UD Ovation Casey is from a set that I don't think I own any cards out of (until now of course).  The baseball seams on the card are actually textured, kind of cool I guess.  However, the best part about the Casey cards is that one of them (the 2001 Upper Deck Vintage) was a card on my want list!  I'm still working on completing the entire 2001 UD Vintage set so getting one of the Reds from the set in a random stack was a nice bonus!

The final card that caught my eye in this stack was this Upper Deck Victory card of Adam Dunn.  I must confess that I don't know much about this set - it must have been some sort of game?

The back of the card says "single" along with two year's worth of statistics for the Big Donkey as Dunn is affectionately known.

Thanks a bunch for the great box of goodies John - and don't worry, there will be more posts to come showing off some of the other cards (including plenty of Pacific goodness)!

As always, if anyone else would like to trade, check out my want list and make an offer!


Comments

  1. You are correct. The 2003 Upper Deck Victory cards could be used as a game. I wrote about it a little on this post.

    http://swingandapopupboston.blogspot.com/2014/01/monster-box-mania-chapter-2.html

    I wasn't able to find any info on how to actually play it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John sends out some awesome packages

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are also correct that you need to catalog your entire Larkin collection. That way, other Larkin collectors like me can pick up missing cards for you. After all, there are thousands out there and we only posses hundreds. I know you have a lot going on with the blog, but make this one of your goals. Just a listing, not a commentary on all of them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment