Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Delivery Time! My Second Priority Mail Box from Last Week - This Time from 2x3 Heroes!

As the post title (not-so) eloquently states, this is the second Priority Mail Flat Rate box that I received last week.  I already showed the contents from the first (Reds and Pacific cards) during most of the past weekend.  Today, we begin our tour through the second box...this time from Jeff over at 2x3 Heroes.  What did this box hold?

Jeff ran a contest during December (if I recall correctly) where he basically gave away tons and tons of cards (something like $200 worth of postage when all was said and done)!  In fact, I don't even know how I ended up with so many mini packages of cards - maybe I won some of the smaller contests?  Maybe I got lucky?  Maybe Jeff can't find anyone else to dump Reds on?  No matter what, I don't care because I just got myself a boatload of cards to sort through!

By my count, there are seven team bags full of cards.  Over the next few posts, I plan to take one team bag at a time and show off some of the highlights.  I can also say that I'll be keeping a bunch of the cards - and others will be going out in future trades as a sort of "pay it forward" kind of thing that Jeff has started.

Since this is the first post, I decided to go with the smallest team bag to look at (after all, it's also Monday morning and who wants to read a big long thing in the morning)?!

The first team bag ended up being all Pirates.  Despite the Pirates defeating the Reds in the one-game fake playoffs last year, I still don't hate Pittsburgh.  In fact, I actively root for them against all teams except my Reds.  In the team bag there was at least one card from 11 different sets - but I have narrowed the cards down to my favorite four Pirates in the bag.

#4:  2010 Topps - Ross Ohlendorf

Ohlendorf has a funny name which is probably reason enough to put this card on a countdown.  However, I happen to like the yellow border with the dark background - the yellow and black fits the Pirates perfectly!  I also like this as a horizontal card since Ohlendorf's leg kick is so wide.  Good stuff by Topps - and it also makes me miss this set as I loved the 2010 flagship!

#3:  1993 Fleer Ultra - Kevin Young

I'm a sucker for the Fleer Ultra brand (something that will be even more obvious in a moment).  I don't like the early Ultra as much as the turn-of-the-century Ultra, but I can appreciate this card!  Look at the flying helmet of Young's!  Pure awesome (even if Young does look a bit like a tool with one arm having a sleeve of some sort and the other arm bare).

#2:  2006 Fleer Ultra - Zach Duke

Another Fleer Ultra card!  Again, this isn't the highest point of the Ultra line (I still prefer the late 90s / early 00s stuff) but it's not a bad card by any stretch of the imagination.  As I mentioned a few days ago, I want to work on collecting some of the various Pacific sets, the same could be said for some of the Fleer Ultra sets (and some of the Topps Stadium Club sets).

#1:  1993 Upper Deck SP - Jeff King

You can get to #1 on my countdown by representing a set that I have virtually no cards from or by having a rather unique photo.  In the case of this list's #1 card, both criteria have been met!  I greatly enjoy the image (even if it does seem a bit crooked - even though I realize it isn't) - and I enjoy getting a set representative from the 1993 SP set.  The only thing I don't really like is the yellow and black squares on the left side of the card - it makes it look a bit too much like a racing flag for my tastes (or maybe the Maryland state flag).

That's it for the first packet of cards - but there are still TONS more to come!  Thanks for the fun box to sort through Jeff!

Comments