Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Another Original 1889 Allen & Ginter Card for my Collection!!

Long time readers of my blog will know that I am a set collector at heart.  I also enjoy puzzles and other challenges...and in the realm of baseball cards that usually equates to me collecting almost everything Allen & Ginter related.

It also meant that when I learned that you can buy original Allen & Ginter cards from eBay (original meaning cards from 1887 - 1890 or so) I decided to pick one of the sets and try and complete that set.

Did I mention that I'm a bit crazy?

It's been a long road ever since I chose my set (50 Fish from American Waters).

For one thing, my baseball card budget is extremely small so I don't have a lot of cash to spend on the set (which typically means any graded card is going to be above what I am able to pay).  Another thing working against me?

The fact that the cards are from 1889.  Yes, that's eighteen eighty nine.

2016 - 1889 = 127 years old!!

It's amazing to me that I've been able to acquire a single card that's 127 years old...but even more amazing is the fact that I'm approaching the end of the set!

(Also amazing, I still have some open slots in my 2016 Topps Series 1 group break - so go check that out too.)

That's right, thanks to a recent eBay pickup I am now only missing another 7 cards before I'll have a complete set of fish cards!  So what was the eighth-to-last card for my set?

None other than the rather boring named, Chub.

This card is actually in pretty good condition - much better than some of the cards in my set (when you are on a budget and collecting cards this old you can't be too picky with condition)!  If you like this card, be sure to check out my full online gallery of original Allen & Ginter fish cards!

Comments

  1. Awesome Chris, love these old ginter cards, grats !

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool. Getting into the 1800s is a major goal of mine. I like the fish cards too. I had never seen any before seeing your set but they are definitely on my wantlist now.

    I can't help but think of the Simpsons, "Lousy chub night!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder how many people involved in the production of these cards would have thought you were insane if you could tell them that they would still be around 120+ years later. It's pretty amazing when you think about a scrap of paper lasting that long.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment