Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

30DayBBCChallenge: Day 13: My First "High Book Value" Pull from a Pack!

Today's prompt for the 30 Day Baseball Card Challenge:

Day 13:  One of your favorite cards from the 1990s

The 1990s were the prime collecting years of my youth.  In fact, I probably accumulated more cards from 1990 - 1993, and then again from 1997 - 1999 than I did in any other similar time span (at least until more recently when I become employed full-time).

My early 90s collection was acquired 90% via packs that my father bought for me.  I remember going to the grocery store and he'd buy me 4 packs for $1 - usually some sort of mix of Topps, Fleer, or Score (never Upper Deck).  For holidays, he'd often get my brother and I a bunch of different packs (including some more expensive packs such as Upper Deck or Score Select).

In fact, it must have been either Easter of 1993 or Easter of 1994, I remember my brother and I sneaking downstairs and checking out our Easter baskets early.  We each had some baseball cards in our baskets...and I believe we each opened up a pack early.  I recall my pack was a pack of 1993 Score Select - the big green set!

Inside that pack was one of the highest "book value" cards that I ever opened as a kid.

It was a Barry Bonds Select Stars insert with Dufex technology - and to this day it's a treasure in my collection strictly because of the memories attached to it!  If I recall correctly, Beckett (and Tuff Stuff - or however it was spelled back then) listed this card as being worth in excess of $10 at the time.  According to baseballcardpedia, these were fairly tough pulls in retail packs (seeded 1:18 packs).  The insert set itself has 24 total cards - and to this day I only own the Bonds!

Here are the remaining prompts for the 30 Day challenge.  I didn't post an entry yesterday which is why I'm no longer matching my entry number with the date.  That's ok though, there were no rules that said you had to go 30 posts in 30 days.


Comments

  1. Fine looking card. Score chose a great action shot that goes well with the card's design.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment