Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Barry Larkin Collection 553: 1995 Topps Stadium Club - #24 - Virtual Reality

Barry Larkin
Year:  1995
Brand:  Topps Stadium Club
Insert set:  Virtual Reality
Card number:  24

The Virtual Reality cards made up a partial parallel set in the 1995 Stadium Club set.  Each Virtual Reality card has computer generated statistics which were meant to show what might have happened had the 1994 MLB season not been cancelled due to the strike.  The front of the card is the same as Larkin's regular base card (other than the Virtual Reality stamping).  The back of the card has the modified statistics (and a new card number) but otherwise that remains the same as well.

Looking back at the set, I'm not sure how I feel about partial parallels.  I think that it worked fine for the 1995 Stadium Club set (given the "weirdness" of the strike the year before) but I don't think I want to see any partial parallel sets in modern card releases.  The OCD set collector in me actually cringes a little bit thinking about the chaos that might unleash.

Comments