Featured Post

Trade Bait Blowout: Volume 02: The Returns Are Coming In - Night Owl Cards

If all goes well, you'll be seeing quite a few posts such as this one over the span of the next month or so.  That's because today I get to look at the second trade package to arrive as part of my Trade Bait Blowout that I held over my winter break.

Today's trade is courtesy of Greg over at the always wonderful Night Owl Cards.  Greg (not surprisingly) requested a bunch of my Dodger hits plus a Club 3000 card of Steve Carlton from turn of the century Fleer.

In return, Greg helped me inch closer to completing a few different sets including 2018 Allen & Ginter.  Believe it or not, despite buying four boxes (plus a number of blasters), I never did manage to even complete the full 350 card base set of A&G last year.  

I am at least one card closer to realizing that goal with the acquisition of this Jen-Ho Tseng rookie card.  It's always nice to get the first and last card of a set because I like to store my sets in 9-pocket pages in binders.  Having that "start" and "stop" card for a given set really does help to sort of frame the entire thing for me.  Now, I simply need to track down the remaining seven short prints that I'm still missing from the set (301, 306, 311, 316, 317, 320, 335).

Greg wasn't done there helping with my A&G wants - he also threw in a bunch of the Baseball Equipment inserts that I needed along with one more Fantasy Goldmine card that I was missing.  

Somehow, I'm still missing way too many of the full-sized inserts to even consider myself close to completing the sets...but it does feel good to at least inch a bit closer.  For those that are wondering, here's what I am still missing:
Baseball Equipment of the Ages:  BEA- 4, 9, 16, 26, 28, 30
Fantasy Goldmine:  FG- 1, 8, 14, 17, 23, 25, 26, 27, 30, 32, 36, 38, 43, 44
World Talent:  WT- 8, 15, 19, 20, 21, 29, 31, 33, 34, 40, 42, 43, 47
One of my blogging resolutions for 2019 is to whittle my entire want list down from the 134 sets on it currently to a number closer to 100 by the end of the year.  I have no idea if that's actually going to be doable (I have a feeling it will require me to give up collecting a number of sets) but honestly, trying to make over 100 sets is foolish so maybe it'll be for the better!  Of course, the best way for me to get to my goal is for me to get needed cards in the mail. *hint hint*

Moving on to the remaining cards from 2018 A&G - the minis!  Greg sent along a veritable hodgepodge of minis, all of which I needed for various sets that I'm working on.

Unfortunately for me, I'm also not even all that close to completing most of the mini sets from last year's A&G set.  However, this trade with Greg did give me some hope that I still have a chance to complete some of the mini sets yet.

I plan to give all the mini sets the love that they deserve in the future on the blog - perhaps each one will get its chance to shine when I am able to track down the final card that I need for each respective set.  

In addition to all the A&G goodies, Greg also went back in time to 2017 and sent me a few of the Wal-Mart only Topps Gallery cards.

For some reason, I really liked the Gallery set when it was released, despite the obvious stupid gimmick of it only being available at one retail store.  Like pretty much every other set featured in this post today, I'm still a ways away from finishing this one off as well (I still need 4, 5, 27, 33, 34, 50, 64, 66, 107, 115, 116, 118, 133, 135).  That said, the want list is only 14 cards now so there's a real chance I can finish this set before the end of the year.

Finally, one last set that Greg helped me out with - 2018 Panini Donruss.

I know that most people seemed to dislike this year's edition of Donruss (which I understand) but I have to admit that ripping a box of this stuff was simply fun.  It seemed like each pack had a neat insert or serially numbered card - plus there was a chance of pulling some pretty good names in both the relic and the autograph list.  

I want to give Greg one more "thank you" for all the great cards he sent my way.  And, as always, if anyone else would like to trade be sure to check out my want list and make me an offer!

PS:  I am still waiting on packages from six other people who claimed card(s) as part of my Trade Bait Blowout.  Once I receive my end of the deal, I'll mail out your cards (Greg's cards went out yesterday for example).  I also still have quite a bit of trade bait leftover - and I'm still willing to deal it since I haven't sorted it all back out yet (go here to see what I still have available).

Comments

  1. I don't know how I missed the Bellinger Out of this World card, I should have claimed that.

    Anyway, glad to find a bunch of stuff off your lists!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Night Owl: I figured you had it from a different trade or something already! I'll start another pile for you with that one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment