Featured Post

Ripping Packs is Fun.

I recently bought a box of 1992 Upper Deck in an effort to close the gap in terms of what I still need for my own set.  Sure, I guess I could have bought a factory sealed set for less than the price of the box but what fun is that?  The real fun, as most collectors will tell you, is in opening the packs. 

For me, I must say that when I open packs I find myself enjoying each and every card much more than I would otherwise.  When you consider the set in question, '92 Upper Deck isn't a big "mojo" set but rather it is a solid set with neat photography (on both sides of the card).  It's exactly the type of set that one should take their time with and enjoy the pack ripping process which is exactly how I aim to do things!

Pack 4:

Two highlights in the fourth pack out of the box. 

I'll begin with the Rockies' logo hologram sticker - something that I'm still a sucker for despite being a guy closer to 40 than I am 30 years of age. 

The other card of note was a Greg Maddux base card, the front side of the card was fine but I like the helmet-less shot of Maddux sliding into third (or maybe it's second base).

Pack 5:

The fifth pack had a pair of Ryan Bowen cards which is never great - doubles within a box are disappointing, doubles within the same pack is infuriating.  Luckily, all was not lost because taking a look at the backside of the Eduardo Perez "Top Prospects" card reveals a story that is basically all about the Big Red Machine of the 70s and how their offspring fared in the big leagues (to date).

Pack 6:

Always a thrill to pull a prospect card of a guy who actually panned out in the Majors!

Not a bad trio of packs, though the doubles from within the box are already starting to add up.  I was definitely banking on better collation so that my goal of completing the set could be more closely realized.  Still, I'm enjoying this vintage rip - hopefully you are as well!

Comments

  1. Five offspring from the Big Red Machine made to The Show? That's a pretty cool fun fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t think Lee May Jr. ever made the big leagues...then again, Pete Rose Jr. briefly did.

    I think that’s Garry Templeton trying to tag Maddux (he was the only black infielder with the Mets in 1991), which means that probably second base as he played more short than third.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete Rose Jr. wasn't taken in the first round, but he also played in the bigs back in the 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Rockies holo is indeed fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful scan on the Rockies logo! Definitely one of the earliest instances of the team hitting the Hobby.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment