Featured Post

It's Finals Monday (and also TCDB time)!

Barry Larkin Collection 755: 2004 Donruss World Series - #51

Barry Larkin
Year:  2004
Brand:  Donruss World Series
Card number:  51

This is a nice looking card from the 2004 Donruss World Series set but unfortunately that's about as positive as I can be about the set as a whole.  Why?  The 2004 Donruss World Series set is a confusing mess of a thing (a refrain that I feel like I repeat often for mid-2000s Donruss sets)!  

How bad and confusing of a set is it, you ask?

Well, for a Barry Larkin collector such as myself, there are the following 17 cards to try and track down:
  • WS-51 Donruss World Series
  • WS-51 Donruss World Series Blue
  • 51 Donruss World Series Blue HoloFoil 10
  • 51 Donruss World Series Blue HoloFoil 100
  • 51 Donruss World Series Blue HoloFoil 25
  • 51 Donruss World Series Blue HoloFoil 50
  • 51 Donruss World Series Blue Material Bat
  • 51 Donruss World Series Blue Material Fabric AL/NL
  • 51 Donruss World Series Blue Material Fabric WS
  • 51 Donruss World Series HoloFoil 10
  • 51 Donruss World Series HoloFoil 100
  • 51 Donruss World Series HoloFoil 25
  • 51 Donruss World Series HoloFoil 50
  • 51 Donruss World Series Material Bat
  • 51 Donruss World Series Material Fabric Number
  • 9 Donruss World Series Signature Trio
  • 9 Donruss World Series Signature Trio Bat
Yikes!  Even worse for me, at the moment I only own the top two cards on that list.  The World Series Blue card is actually a psuedo-parallel of the regular base set but I'll talk a bit more about that when I post that card (since it's in my collection right now).  

As for today's card, like I said at the outset I like the design fine.  The image on the front and back is different (which I appreciate) and the card layout is also perfectly adequate, though I'd prefer the team logo somewhere on the front of the card.   It's a nice enough design but I'm fairly certain the set isn't worth buying if you hope to track down all of the Barry Larkin cards...17 in a single set is all kinds of stupid silliness.  

Comments