Featured Post

NEW Group Break: 1998 TOPPS GOLD LABEL --- Sign Up Here!!

I'm enjoying getting back into the world of group breaks!  For my third group break of 2020, I found a special box to rip:  1998 Topps Gold Label.


In my opinion, the '98 Gold Label set is one of the nicest Gold Label sets of any year!  The set is wonderful for any player collector since there are tons of different parallels to track down.  The checklist is only 100 players deep but for the most part they are spread out decently across all of the teams.

Note:  I cross-posted this information on my Nachos Grande Card Breaks page on Facebook as well.  I encourage you to join that page as eventually I hope to have all of my group break sign-ups in a single location (I recognize that not everyone uses Facebook though which is why I'm still posting break information on my blog as well).

Set information:

The Class 1 cards are considered the "base set."  Each Class 1 card has the player's name in gold foil.  Each card has two images of the player on the front, for Class 1 the images show the player fielding in the background and in a follow-thru pose in the foreground.  

Class 2 cards show the player running.  Besides the image, Class 2 cards are fairly easy to differentiate because they have the player's name in sparkling silver foil.

Class 3 cards show the player hitting or pitching and use a sparkling gold foil.

In addition, all 300 base cards have parallel versions:

  • Black  (Here's my Larkin card that is a Class 3 Black parallel if you want to see what the cards look like)
  • Red (Class 1: serial-numbered to 100 copies, Class 2: serial-numbered to 50 copies, Class 3: serial-numbered to 25 copies)
  • One-of-one:  Each Black and Red parallel also is available as a one-of-one meaning there are a total of nine different one-of-one cards for each player in the checklist!

The 1998 Gold Label set is all about the main checklist but there is a single insert set available as well:  HR Race '98 which is exclusive to Hobby packs (which is what we are opening).  The set has four cards in it and any that we pull will go to team with the main person featured:

  • HR1 Roger Maris (Yankees)
  • HR2 Mark McGwire  (Cardinals)
  • HR3 Ken Griffey, Jr.  (Mariners)
  • HR4 Sammy Sosa  (Cubs)

Much like everything else in the set, the Home Run Race cards also come in parallel versions, a Black parallel and a Red parallel (the red is serially numbered out of 61).

--------------------------------------------------

Like in my previous break, stacking will apply.  In other words, the price below is the price per team without shipping.  I will hold onto all of your group break cards until you request shipping.  In this way, you can join in four or five group breaks (if you'd like) and then pay once for shipping at the end.  I'm holding cards for up to a year from your last break so you don't have to feel like you need to join in every break, I recognize not every box is of interest to every collector (and I like to vary the boxes I offer).  

Note:  I am also listing this on my Facebook page for my blog.  I will do my best to keep both sites updated in terms of which teams have been claimed!  If you haven't yet joined my Facebook page, I would encourage you to do so.  Eventually, I'll probably move all group break sign-ups over to that page so that I have a single listing to update/keep track of!

I used TCDB in order to determine which teams had which players.  The Braves lead the way with 8 players in the base set while the Indians, Yankees, and Mariners are close behind (thus explaining the prices below).  Out of the 30 teams, half of them (15) are priced at only $3 or less.  I'm hoping that will allow this break to fill up for all of the team slots!

Group Break:  1998 Topps Gold Label
$3 - Arizona Diamondbacks - Wade Fisher (PAID)
$9 - Atlanta Braves  - 
$7 - Baltimore Orioles - Shane Milheim (PAID)
$4 - Boston Red Sox  - Ben Morris (PAID)
$4 - Chicago White Sox - Spiegel83 (PAID)
$6 - Chicago Cubs - Ben Martin (PAID)
Cincinnati Reds - Nachos Grande (PAID)
$5 - Cleveland Indians - Alec J. (PAID)
$4 - Colorado Rockies - 
$3 - Detroit Tigers - Ben Morris (PAID)
$5 - Houston Astros - 
$1 - Kansas City Royals - Jason McQuitty (PAID)
$3 - Los Angeles Angels - 
$6 - Los Angeles Dodgers - Night Owl (PAID)
$1 - Miami Marlins - 
$1 - Milwaukee Brewers - Mark Eisenman (PAID)
$2 - Minnesota Twins - Jeff B. (PAID)
$4 - New York Mets - Jason McQuitty (PAID)
$12 - New York Yankees - Joe Eglesia (PAID)
$1 - Oakland Athletics - 
$3 - Philadelphia Phillies - daddyohoho (PAID)
$1 - Pittsburgh Pirates - Wade Fisher (PAID)
$7 - San Diego Padres - Padrographs (PAID)
$2 - San Francisco Giants - Jeff B. (PAID)
$12 - Seattle Mariners - Joe Eglesia (PAID)
$7 - St. Louis Cardinals - Kerry Biggs (PAID)
$1 - Tampa Bay Rays - 
$3 - Texas Rangers - Ben Morris (PAID)
$1 - Toronto Blue Jays - 
$3 - Washington Nationals/Montreal Expos - Shane Milheim (PAID)

1.  Please leave a comment below with the team(s) you are claiming.
2.  Send PayPal payment (as FRIENDS & FAMILY) to:  fanofreds (dot) auctions (at) gmail (dot) com (the same email that is in my profile).  I would appreciate all payments sent as "gifts."  
3.  IF YOU DON'T HAVE A CURRENT STACK OF GROUP BREAK CARDS, please email me the following information:
  • Your user name
  • The team(s) you claimed
  • The email address you sent payment from 
  • Your mailing address  Note:  If you already have a stack started, you don't need to email me your address again as I should already have it saved with your pile of cards!
This should be another fun box to open but first we need to fill the break up!  As with the previous break, I will also throw in a few bonus packs to add even more cards to the overall card total for everyone.  Sign up now!

Comments

  1. Late '90s were not good to the Dodgers in cards, but I need to finish off this team set if I can. Payment coming tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will take the Phillies. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have killed to get my hands on a box of this back in 1998. Beautiful product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alright, I'll bite. Twins and Giants for me. Payment coming tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Payment sent. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll claim the Indians! I'm sending payment now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment