Featured Post

I Joined a "High End" Group Break and Ended up With Two Cards!

 A couple of weeks ago, I decided to plunk down some of my hard-earned money in another one of The Iron Lion's online high-end group breaks.  Truth be told, I'm not 100% sure what made me decide to join in this particular break.  The main reason that I did is that the cost wasn't actually all that high for a product that I'd never be able to afford on my own.  

Like most Iron Lion breaks, the break I joined was for a random team.  I generally avoid breaks where I don't get to pick my own team, but like I said, for some reason I ended up joining this break anyhow.

Thanks to the randomization, I ended up with the Houston Astros as my team in a case break (or maybe it was a half-case break, I forget now) of 2020 Topps Five Star baseball.  The Astros wouldn't be my first choice (obviously the Reds would be) but if you are going to get a random team in a break involving products from 2018-2020, the Astros are a pretty good choice.  As luck would have it, being the owner of Houston worked out okay for me.

I ended up with not one, but two hits from the break.  Considering there was something like a total of 20 cards in the break (exact numbers escape me but I know it wasn't much), I figured I'd be lucky to get one card, let alone two!

All of the cards in 2020 Five Star are hits - and both of my cards happened to be of the autographed variety.  First, I scored this Abraham Toro rookie auto.



I don't know much about Toro but a quick look at baseballreference.com tells me he is sporting a rather pitiful .146 batting average this year through 82 at bats with the Astros.  Ouch.  His autograph also leaves little to be desired if you ask me.

While I would have been happy to get a single card from the break, the group break gods actually smiled on me more with the last card of the break!


That's a gorgeous Five Star Golden Graphs autograph of Jeff Bagwell in gold ink #/40.  It was super cool to land this particular card, especially since it was the final card from the break and I had already resigned myself to having overspent for a single autograph of rookie I had never heard of!  

Ultimately, participating in any sort of group break is a gamble of sorts*.  For higher end breaks, the gamble is much more pronounced - you can hit it really big but most often you'll either get shutout entirely or end up with a single, mostly worthless card.  For this particular break, I hit it perfect - more than one card and something cool that I'd never otherwise have owned!  

*This is a big reason why I try to keep almost all of my breaks on my Facebook  group break page super affordable if I can.  The potential payout may be less but the potential risk is also a lot less.  Plus, I break fun stuff where things like base cards and basic inserts are the main draw, not crazy gold ink autographs!

Speaking of owning, while I do like the look of the Bagwell card a lot I have to admit that he's one of my all-time least favorite Astros (he and Berkman always crushed the Reds and I still harbor a grudge).  Thus, I ended up posting both the Bagwell and the Toro on eBay last night.  If you have any interest in either, I'd love for you to consider placing a bid...though if bidding gets too high then I might be tempted to join in even more higher end breaks and that's probably a bad idea given the Law of Averages!

Comments

  1. I don't really do group breaks anymore, but I do enjoy watching others participate. Congratulations on landing two hits. Hope you're able to flip both of those cards into a nice profit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never participated in group breaks outside yours. The risks with high end breaks are not worth the cost. Hope you do well with the Bags auto!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never join a high end group break. However I will watch them on YouTube. I do enjoy seeing someone pay $50 for a Mike Lieberthal auto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Jeff Bagwell sure made up for that abysmal Toto auto!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment