Featured Post

The Great Reorganization: Step 40: Rebuilding the Collection Shelves!

Last week, calamity hit my baseball card collecting when one of my shelving units "popped" and resulted in a bunch of set binders no longer having a proper shelf to rest on.  I showed some of the damage to my shelving unit last week.  Today, I'm happy to report that I have since ordered (and assembled) two new shelving units and finally replaced all of my old, warped shelves.  I will admit that buying shelves has to be one of the more boring (and expensive) realities of collecting cards, but I certainly feel a lot better about the long-term stability and security of my collection of binders now!



The shelves still aren't fully organized - the binders will probably be moved around once I figure out how I want to store everything but at least they are all off of the floor and now sitting within the shelves.  You'll also see a cubby filled with a lot of stacks of cards - those are all possible entries into my Reds Frankenset which is a project I have ignored for quite some time and really need to work in the near future!  You'll also note that while I do have a bit more room for expansion, I am nearly out of space here.  Once that shelf is full, there will be no more set collecting for me unless I figure out how to consolidate stuff (i.e. probably selling some older sets that no longer hold as much interest to me).



The other shelving unit is exactly the same in terms of dimensions but this one now holds more set binders as well as all of my trade bait that I've listed on TCDB.  



So much trade bait!  In an ideal world, I'd trade off a lot of those cards to clear out an additional cubby for other purposes but alas, I only seem to be adding boxes to my trade bait stacks rather than getting rid of boxes!  Also, perhaps I should buy some stock in the manufacturer of sticky notes.

I still have a lot of proper sorting and organizing to do but it feels great to get the cards up and off the floor.  My "man cave" is in the basement of my house and while we don't have a lot of water issues typically, we did get water in the basement multiple times this year (mostly in the unfinished part of the basement, but still, it makes me nervous having anything cardboard on the floor)!  




Comments

  1. Looks great! Love this style of shelving both because it feels more stable and it avoids the whole shelf of binders leaning over when you take one binder out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I wish I had thought to get shelves like this originally. For whatever reason, it was immediately the type of shelving I bought for my board games but never thought to do the same for my card binders.

      Delete
  2. Very nice setup. I use either the same cubbies or something very similar in my office for my cards (and work stuff).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment