Featured Post

Board Game Friday: August 2024 Board Game Arena Plays

We've nearly made it to the middle of September, but I'm still living in the month of August for today's post!  More specifically, we are going to take a look at my Board Game Arena plays for the month of August 2024.

August saw me play a total of 65 games with 22 victories, good for about a 33.8 winning percentage.  That might not sound great, but I played a lot more three and four-player games in August which means I shouldn't expect a 50% winning percentage!

Here's what I got to the (virtual) table in August:



No surprise at all to see Lost Ruins of Arnak still at the top of my most-played list of games!  I also played Isle of Trains:  All Aboard a total of ten times, just enough to regain my world #1 ranking for the current season of that game!  

New games that I tried this month included the following:

Path of Civilization:



This is a civilization-themed game but in reality, it is more of a racing game with a whole bunch of different tracks to compete on.  Despite playing this one 9 times last month, I still wouldn't say that I am any sort of expert on the game.  That said, I am definitely getting better at it which is kind of the mark of a good game (I don't usually enjoy games if I can't get better at them through repeated play).

River Valley Glassworks:



This is a fun, breezy family-weight game about picking up pieces of glass and fitting them onto your board in a point-scoring puzzle game.  There's not a ton to this game, but I found it enjoyable (though to be fair, I think the game loses something without the tactile nature of the game pieces).

Through the Ages:  A New Story of Civilization:



Probably the "heaviest" game I've played on Board Game Arena, this one is a proper card-based civilization game with all of the trappings you'd expect (wonders to build, leaders to lead, and wars to fight).  With only five plays under my belt in August, I can report that I went 0-for-5 against blogger buddy Bubbasbums.  He took me to the proverbial woodshed over and over, but I enjoyed the game and kept coming back for more.  This is a game that I hope to continue to play as it feels like one that I will really enjoy once I get a better grasp on the timing and flow of things.

That's a wrap for the past month in virtual board gaming.  As always, I'm up for learning almost any game on BGA so if you have a favorite you'd like to play feel free to hit me up.  I also don't mind losing repeatedly so long as I can see myself improving (no matter how slowly)!  

Comments