Featured Post

New Year Resolutions - 2011

Now that it is almost time to trash the 2010 calendar (and buy a 2011 one on clearance), it's time for another year of resolutions.  I posted my resolutions last year here - and a year-end look at how I fared here.  As it turned out, I successfully completed eight out of ten resolutions...which is great for me!  Let's see how I fare completing these resolutions this year:

1.  Get into a graduate program.
This is the number goal for me.  I've been a full-time college instructor for the past three years or so - but now it is time to take the next step and complete the Ph.D.  If I do get in, I'm sure my blogging output will slow down considerably for awhile - but I resolve to not disappear completely next fall! 
2.  Finish at least three sets on my want list.
This is a repeat resolution from last year, but it's a great goal to have every year (especially as a set collector).  I'm sure I'll be adding some more sets to the want list as the year progresses, so please keep checking it out!
3.  Organize all my "extra" cards.
I have two shirt boxes full of baseball cards that need to be organized, plus a couple of towers of cards that are one strong breeze from falling over and making a huge mess.  I keep all my cards in binders, so organizing is a feat in terms of both time and money (for binders and pages).  I also need to seriously evaluate what I want to collect, right now I've basically been collecting everything...but I'm quickly running out of room on my shelves!
4.  Continue blog trading, try to top 2010s trade total.
Another repeat, but with a small twist.  I mailed out 122 total trade packages in 2010.  How many trades can I complete in 2011, my goal is going to be 125 - or a bit more than one every three days for the year.  If the trade stack idea takes off, I'll probably keep that alive for awhile as well.
5.  Grow my Barry Larkin Collection to 200 total cards.
As of the end of 2010, I have 78 cards scanned and written about.  I'm hoping to do 122 Larkin posts next year - and hopefully find enough Larkin cards to hit the 200 mark!  I know I have a bunch still waiting to be scanned - and there are a few emails in my inbox right now offering me other Larkins that I still don't own...so I'm on my way already!
6.  Attend at least one MLB game.
I won't put any stipulations on which game or who I see - mostly because I don't know how much time I'll have this summer to begin with.  Still, I hope to make it to at least one professional game before 2011 is over.
7.  Be a more visible blog presence.
This should be one of everybody's resolutions.  The sense of community on the blogs is great, but it would be even better if we all (myself included) took a little more time to comment more often.  I know people read my stuff - I typically average 125+ hits a day but I don't receive too many comments.  I also know that I read 20+ blogs a day, but rarely do I comment.  Both things ought to change next year!
8.  Expand the scope of my blog.
This year, I managed to snag a few blog sponsors, including CSN stores.  I hope to continue my relationship with them next year, and perhaps nab a few other sponsors along the way (major card companies, are you listening)?
9.  Review things.
This might go along with resolution #8, but it doesn't have to.  I enjoy reading other people's reviews of things...and I think it's something that I should do more of.  
10.  Surprise people.
Let's just say I have a few ideas already about this one...but they are time consuming on my end - and well, I'll leave it that for now!

Alright, there's ten resolutions for 2011.  All but the first are blog or sports related (though the first will definitely impact the other nine resolutions)!  What about you?  What are your resolutions for the new year?  Feel free to either leave your resolutions in the comments below or a link to your own blog with a post of your resolutions!

Happy 2011 everyone!  Let's make it awesome.

Comments

  1. Great lists, has got me thinking about my resolutions! Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list, I think #7 is so true. I too resolve to comment more, and I hope others will too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great list, and a very realistic one at that.

    I definitely agree with No. 7. No. 9 is one I think would benefit you as well, and reviews tend to get good long-term traffic. I like No. 10, since it can set you apart from others in the community.

    Good luck to you on No. 1. One of my best high school friends is in a graduate program in Wisconsin, and it's a challenge for him for the reasons you stated.

    May all your resolutions come true and then some in 2011!

    Later buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck on your PhD. My boss has been pushing me to do mine for a year or so now. I created a list for 2011 as well that will be posted at midnight tonight. I'd love to help you with your trade numbers, so I'll have to see what I have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year!

    moe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best of luck with number 1. and number 10 has been fun for me this past December. My latest victim posted today - My Cardboard Mistress - was totally surprised!
    And I've also been surprised this past week when the 5 cards I was expecting showed up as 10 including a very nice Utley relic.
    Happy New Year my blogging friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment