Featured Post

Pack Wars I: Pack 12 - 2006 Tristar Hidden Treasures

The two boxes produced my first pair of Tristar Hidden Treasures packs that I'd ever opened. Sure, I'd seen the Hidden Treasures boxes in Wal*Mart a couple of years ago, but I was never that desperate to actually buy one...

A quick look at the insertion rates (as printed on the back of the pack):
Class of '36 Diamond Ticket: 1 in 1,111,111
Autographed Memorabilia Redemption: 1 in 10,000
Autographed card or Specialty insert: 1 in 500
Star Rookie: 1 in 200
Star player: 1 in 1
Other: 4 in 1.

So, let's do a little math. You get 5 cards per pack. 4 of which are "other" as per the odds. That leaves one card. Oh look "star players" are inserted 1 per pack. Does that mean that the only way you get a "star rookie" "specialy insert" or any of the other cards is if your pack has an extra card? That's what the numbers suggest. Actually, what the numbers suggest is that you won't pull diddly squat from these packs. Do the numbers lie, let's see.

Note: For complete scoring rules, check out the initial post.

Pack #12: 2006 Tristar Hidden Treasures

Box 1:

1994 Sportflics: #172. Javier Lopez (0 points)

1991 Upper Deck: #731. Gary Gaetti (0 points)
1991 Topps: #388. Kelly Gruber (0 points. This would have gotten points had it been one of the few remaining 1991 Topps cards I'm looking for, but alas, it wasn't.)
1991 Score: #730. Hector Wagner (0 points)
1984 Topps: #570. Dan Quisenberry (0 points)

Quick, fun little game. Which of the 5 cards above is my promised 1 in 1 star player? Yeah, I couldn't figure that out either...

Total points: 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 = 0. Simply craptacular Tristar. Simply craptacular.

Box 2:

1986 Topps: #543. Jerry Narron (Ah, an ex-Reds manager. 0 points though)

2000 Skybox: #145. Ben Davis (I don't think I have any cards from this set. 0 points)

1987 Topps: #245. Willie Upshaw (Another 0 points)
1984 Topps: #351. Russ Nixon (Hey, a Red...been a long time since I've gotten one. +10 points)

1991 Donruss: #177. Wally Backman (A Pirate, so +2. Someday I'll figure out which cards I'm still missing from the '91 Donruss set and try to collect 'em...I like this set for some unknown reason.)

Total points: 0 + 0 + 0 + 10 + 2 = 12 points

Well, that pack smoked Box 1's pack out of the water, but let's play the same game as before. Can you name the 1 in 1 star player in the pack? Yeah, me neither.

Running tally:
Box 1: 7 pack wins and +110 total points
Box 2: 5 pack wins and +77 total points

It's official, Box 2 is on a winning streak and is quickly closing the gap on Box 1! There's only six packs left (though most likely 7 since I'll split the second rack pack into "upper" and "lower" panels like I did before). What will happen, who knows?! Stay tuned.

Comments