Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Delivery Time! Reaping the Rewards of the Trade Stack.

As most of my readers know, I've started a new trading device on my blog called the trade stack.  Basically, the premise is that you get all the cards in the stack in exchange for any one card off my want list.  It could be a one-for-one trade (though no one has claimed the stack after only one card as of yet), or it could be a seventeen-for-one trade (such as trade stack #3).

Now that the stack has been active for awhile, some of the return packages are making their way to me.  I already wrote about Justin's trade for the second trade stack back on January 12.  The third trade stack was recently claimed by Cam, so I haven't received his cards yet.  And so that brings us to the inaugural trade stack, the very first foray into the new collecting wilderness.

For the first stack, Dayf from Cardboard Junkie claimed it after a mere two cards - apparently a Jason Heward rookie was enough to convince him to pull the trigger before someone else nabbed the fledgling stack.  As is my custom, I mailed off the stack to Dayf (plus a few Braves extras because really, who but Dayf wants them anyhow) and I waited.

And I waited.

And I waited.

And then I forgot.

And then I remembered again.

And then I forgot.

And then the cards showed up in my mailbox as a complete surprise.

Dayf made up for the wait though by including way more than the three cards he promised - and so I'd gladly wait that long again for more trade packages like the one Dayf sent in return for the trade stack.  Let's take a look at the good stuff that I got back.

2009 American Heritage:
58.  W.E.B. Du Bois
63.  Frederic Remington

125.  The Camp David Accords

Now, when I agreed to the trade, I didn't realize that I actually didn't need these cards...I needed the same numbered cards from the American Heritage Heroes set...  That's ok though, these cards will most likely end up in a trade stack at some point...  Hey look, the stack is self-perpetuating!  


1985 Topps
316.  John Lowenstein
325.  John Denny
454.  Glen Wilson

526.  Dave Palmer
604.  Daryl Sconiers
737.  Bo Diaz

Now this was a group of cards that I did need (and were "free" throw-ins by Dayf).  My 1985 Topps set is down to needing only nine cards (specifically #181, 348, 401, 471, 511, 536, 664, 730, 752).  As an aside, what in the $&#! is up with Glenn's method of holding the bat?  Did someone tell him he was only allowed to use his thumbs and one finger at a time?  Is there another photo of a baseball player batting that looks more ridiculous than this one?  If so, send me a scan because I find it hard to believe!


1991 Score:
835.  Ken Griffey, Sr.

869.  Todd Zeile

Another group of cards that I needed, the 1991 Score set has proven to be a difficult thing to put together via trade.  Maybe it is the fact that the set is twenty years old now...or maybe it is because everyone threw their '91 Score cards away because they had way to many of them.  Either way, I'm always happy to be able to knock a few more cards off of my want list - and now I only need five cards in order to have the full set (specifically #510, 634, 743, 797, 890).


And last, but certainly not least, Dayf included some Reds for me including a Barry Larkin card (which will get its own post) and a few other nifty cards that I didn't previously own...

Thanks a lot Dayf!  And, as always, if anyone else would like to trade, check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments

Post a Comment