Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 96: 1992 Leaf - #73

Barry Larkin
Year:  1992
Brand:  Leaf
Card number:  73 (variation 1)

The '92 Leaf set was a mysterious set for me growing up.  I never once saw it available in pack form, and I never had a single Leaf card in my collection until I traded some kid a bunch of my Halloween candy for a plastic bag full of his baseball cards he didn't want (basically a bag full of teams beside the Yankees, double advantage me).  I would have expected the mysterious qualities of the Leaf brand would have attracted me to the set, however, that's not exactly the case.

The problem, you see, is that this is one of the most boring card designs I've ever seen.  It would have been cool had a found a pack of these in '92 (after all, many of the other 1992 Larkin cards were much less interesting), but since my first Leaf cards came in the mid-90s (the height of epic card design) the monochromatic design simply didn't interest me.

It is worth mentioning that the back of the card is quite nice.  The large Reds running man logo at the top right corner is especially appreciated by me!

-----

Updated:  3/26/2022
I have since learned that there are two versions of Barry's 1992 Leaf base card - differentiated only by the copyright line (whether or not there is or is not a period after "INC").  This particular version has the period so I'm calling it variation 1.  

Comments