Featured Post

Delivery Time (From March).... Whoops!

Alright, I confess - I have a big drawer full of trade packages that have yet to see the light of the blog...and my plan is to remedy that situation over the next few days/weeks/months/whatever it takes.  Actually, I think it should only take a few days...but you never know for sure with me.

Anyhow, today's package was mailed March 21, 2011.  I guess three months (almost to the day) isn't a bad turnaround right?  Actually, it's terrible but I have my reasons.  It's usually a lot easier to do a trade post when there are either:
A.  Only a few cards
B.  A bunch of cards from one set
C.  A bunch of cards that fill needs on my want list (and thus need to be posted and sorted ASAP so that I don't end up trading for a bunch of duplicates)
D.  A few cards that I have some stories to write about instantly

Unfortunately, this particular trade package didn't meet any of the above requirements, and thus, it kept getting passed over for other packages.  This particular envelope holds the results of a group break hosted by Colbey over at Cardboard Collections.  Now, before you get all worried, I did post a different group break that Colbey hosted (later than the one you are about to see) about a week ago here.

Now, it's been about three full months since the end of Colbey's break, so at this point I have no idea what the boxes were that he busted (or how many).  I do know, however, that it was probably a nice cheap break since that's what Colbey is known for.  In fact, I am SURE it was a cheap break since I picked up not only my usual Reds but also the Cubs for reasons that only I knew at the time.  I guess it's more trade bait or something.

Anyhow, I have a stack of about 50-70 cards, probably 40% of which are Reds (the rest being Cubs).  I won't show all of them, but instead I'm going to try something new for large trade posts...the Top 10.

The Top 10 Cards of the Package:
(ok, I probably need a better, less suggestive tag line)

In reverse order:
#10:
1993 Upper Deck Fun Pack:
81.  Mark Grace

I have no idea what the Upper Deck Fun Packs were all about back in '93.  In fact, until I did a Google search to figure out what the name of the set was, I had no idea Upper Deck Fun Packs even existed.  This card earns the #10 ranking on my list though because of the awesome early 90s vibe.  Doesn't the card simply scream Saved by the Bell to you?

#9:
2000 Upper Deck Ultimate Victory:
56.  Sammy Sosa


In 2000, I bought a few cards but most of my time was spent on trying to woo my now wife!  I think I made the right choice then, though it is nice to grab a few of the late 90s, early 2000s cards for my collection now.  That's probably why I open so many boxes from that era in my own group breaks - they are simply full of fun inserts and funky designs.  Speaking of funky, how about Upper Deck taking their basic kiddie set (Victory) and then adding a bunch of shine to it to make it a fancy adult set?  I don't think the plan was overly successful...unless you really like blue and black all over your cards (trust me, it looks a lot better with the Cubs than with a team like the Reds)!

#8:
1994 Fleer:
422.  Bip Roberts


By now, everyone in the blogosphere knows who Bip Roberts is...or at least what Bip Roberts in your mailbox means!  However, this was not some sort of Bipping by Colbey, but rather one of many 1994 Fleer cards.  I really like the '94 Fleer set - so much so that I'll eventually try and complete the set - at least now I probably have most of, if not all, the Cubs and Reds from the set.

#7:
1994 Fleer:
All-Star Insert:
48 of 50.  Ryne Sandberg


I believe these were one-per-pack inserts, and as far as All-Star cards go, they are well designed.  There is an appropriate amount of patriotism on the front (a play on the phrase all star to be sure) and the backs have a nice write-up about the player's performances in past All-Star games.  I ended up with two of the All-Star cards in the group break...and both made my top 10 list.

#6:
2009 Topps ??:
TTS-12.  Ticket to Stardom:  Joey Votto


I don't know what set this card is actually from, Topps has really gone so insert crazy the last few years that I have no plans to try and figure it out.  I do know, however, that it is a Joey Votto card that I didn't own prior to the break and I'm glad to have it now!

#5:
1995 Sportflix:
26.  Barry Larkin


It's really difficult for a new Barry Larkin card to NOT end up in my Top 10 list of any trade.  What is a bit surprising is that although this is indeed a new Larkin for me, it only ranks at #5.  A quick look at the scan will tell you why - it's freakin' ugly.  At the end of the day, baseball cards are basically nothing more than a piece of cardboard (or some other material) with a picture (or more).  And this, my friends, is one sinfully ugly baseball card.  That said, it is a new Larkin - and I'll never have to trade for it (or buy it)...both of which is aprpeciated!

#4:
1994 Score:
649.  Cincinnati Reds (Team Checklist):


I'm a sucker for stadium cards (wouldn't that be a great insert set for Allen & Ginter some time - a bunch of mini cards featuring past MLB stadiums).  Although Riverfront Park will never be confused for a nice ballpark, it was still exciting for me to visit the park - and this card reminds me why.  The bright astroturf, the symmetry, and of course, all the Reds logos and other personal touches made my first trip to Cincinnati a true delight as a kid!  For fond memories alone, this card ranks #4 out of all the group break cards.

#3:
1992 Topps Kids:
2.  Andre Dawson:


I had a different Topps Kids card picked out (and ranked much lower on the list) until I came across the Dawson card.  Why is this one so awesome?  Look above his shoulder - that's a freakin' hawk.  I would never have known his nickname was The Hawk back in '92, but now I am able to appreciate little touches like that on a kid's card!  Well done Topps!

#2:
2010 Allen & Ginter:
Relic:

AGR-ARA.  Aramis Ramirez


If I recall correctly, this was the only "hit" out of all the packs that Colbey opened up for the group break.  It would have ranked #1 on my list if I had actually needed the card - but as you probably know, I own a ton of the relics already, including this one.  (If you'd like to see a list of what I have - and even better, if you have a relic that I don't have, check out this link and then contact me)!

#1:



1994 Fleer:
All-Star Insert:
45 of 50.  Barry Larkin

If there was one card I hoped to get from the group break, it was this one.  Anytime I can land a new Barry Larkin card (especially an insert), I'm happy.  If I happen to land one from a set that I really happen to like - all the better!  This card happens to be exactly that, and thus, ranks #1 on my list of the Top 10 cards from the group break!

Thanks again for hosting the break Colbey (and sorry it took me about 3 months to post).  





Image source:
http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Saved-By-The-Bell-saved-by-the-bell-546396_800_600.jpg

Comments

  1. Anonymous5:43 PM

    I think you and the Night Owl collaborate on each other's 'I suck and here's a late trade post' post intros. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Fun Packs. They were really... fun! The neon designs were just the beginning - they had glow in the dark cards, heat sensitive cards, fold-out cards, you name it. They were out for two years and can be pretty tough to put together for 1993 and 1994.

    The Ticket To Stardom insert came from a set called Ticket To Stardom. Yes, you have a 2009 Topps Ticket To Stardom Ticket To Stardom. I hate when they do that.

    I liked the Sportflix cards too (actually, that's a set called UC3). They had a standard background, but you gotta love that 1990s 3D technology.

    I have to agree with you on stadium cards. I pick them up whenever I can. Heck, I've made my own stadium cards for my blog, so I guess that goes without saying. I think A&G (or some other similar product) would be great for a stadium history set, with a card for every stadium ever from the MLB. The 1970s stadiums would be boring, but it would make for a good collection.

    I think Upper Deck's Fun Pack set was an answer to Topps Kids, and you gotta love the personalized touches.

    That's a nice bunch of cards. I was a part of the same break but it's always nice to see the cards again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment