Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Barry Larkin Experiment: Round 1G

I need to start overlapping the voting periods if I am ever going to get through the first round - so that's why there are now two polls up on the sidebar (Round 1F is still active as well).  As a reminder, I decided to "seed" the cards in the exact order that I posted them for my Barry Larkin Collection Series.  For the most, I started off posting cards in chronological order, which is why today's post also contains cards from the same era.  Around the time of Larkin card #36 (with one exception before that), I stopped trying to post in chronological order.  I suppose that might make the later votes more interesting as there will be a greater variety in card design, philosophy, etc.

However, that's jumping the gun a bit - we still have Round 1G which will get to send two participants to the next round.  Here are your choices:

1992 Upper Deck base:

Clean, simple, and basic - the 1992 Upper Deck set certainly won't ruffle many feathers out there.  I wasn't a huge fan of the text name design on the fronts (I prefer team logos) but even so the card design is solid.  The particular Larkin card is actually perfectly suited for the card design - this is a card that I could easily see making it into the later rounds.

1993 Fleer Ultra base:

By 1993, the card collecting world had changed drastically.  At that point, card companies had caught on to the idea of "low end" and "high end" and the glut of produced sets was extremely palpable. Some card sets catered to the higher end (such as Fleer Ultra) while others, like base Topps still catered to the lower end of the collecting spectrum.  As for the vote, I have no idea what people think of the 1993 Fleer Ultra set - it seems to be one of those sets that never gets mentioned on the blogs...this card could end up with a ton of votes or being completely shut out, I don't think I'll be terribly surprised either way.

2008 Donruss Playoff Prime Cuts -  Relic

Remember in the intro how I said I posted in chronological order (for the first 36 Larkin cards) except for one exception - here's the exception!  Will a relic card (numbered out of 99 no less) prevail over the over produced base cards of the early 90s?  I'm guessing it will...but I must admit that the design on the relic is a bit lacking - might that affect the voting?  We'll see!

1993 Pinnacle Hometown Heroes:

The Hometown Heroes were a subset in the '93 Pinnacle set. Of all the cards in Round 1G, this is the card that I expect to get the fewest votes as it doesn't really match-up well against the competition.  The front design is ok but the backs are awful (2011 Lineage anyone?).  There are no team logos to be found in the design either - other than on Larkin's jersey.  On the bright side, the card is a subset card - and I remember thinking those type of cards were pretty cool in the early '90s, maybe this card can gain some "nostalgia votes" on that alone.

Those are your four candidates for this round - now go vote on the sidebar for your favorite.  Remember, the top two vote getters will move on to the next round!

Comments