Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Barry Larkin Collection 246: 1993 Donruss Triple Play - #31

Barry Larkin
Year:  1993
Brand:  Donruss Triple Play
Card number:  31

The Donruss Triple Play brand was aimed squarely at kids.  However, the 1993 set was decidedly classier looking than the previous year's edition.  Donruss would take another step forward with the 1994 Triple Play set (which is probably why the 1993 set has been relegated to relative obscurity).

In terms of the card itself, I like the team logo at the bottom and the easy to read player name (no foil overload here)!  The back features a second image of Larkin which I also like (even if it is a rather dull image).  I don't particularly like the large jersey number behind Larkin's name on the back (it makes it look sort of like the card number) and I don't like getting only one year of statistics (and even that one year only features the bare minimum number of statistical categories).  In the end, the plusses and minuses of the set basically cancel out and this becomes one of those "meh" sets for me.  I don't see myself ever trying to complete the set (or even purposely purchasing a box of '93 Triple Play) - but I also know I have plenty of worse looking Larkin cards in my collection!

Comments