Featured Post

Monday, Monday, Monday (TCDB)

Mail In Redemption Woes - Topps Redeemed, but Not What I Wanted.

There are only a few certain things in baseball card blogging.
1.  If you have a big envelope in the mail from someone you didn't work out a trade with you probably just got bipped.
2.  If you have a small envelope in the mail from Tristar you got a redemption.
3.  If you sent a redemption into Topps, you got something completely different than what they promised.



At least it wasn't a bipping...

You may remember back in the Gint-A-Cuffs craze last summer that I was lucky enough to win the entire thing.  As my prize, I received an unopened box of Allen & Ginter which happened to have a redemption for an Alex Rios framed auto.  I was happy with the pull and quickly mailed the card off to Topps....

Flash forward to January 6, 2010 - Topps sent me an email saying they have suffered from delays and that I could opt for a "equal replacement" card.  A lot of people seemed to think I should have gone for the equal replacement card at that time, but I was scared I'd get something I have no interest in and held out hope I'd still be sent an Allen & Ginter framed auto. 

Alas, I had no such luck - as I opened up the tiny envelope I was greeted with a curt letter.

And then, my "booby prize." 

An "uncirculated" 2009 Clay Buchholz sticker autograph card.

Blech.  I don't like the Red Sox, I don't like sticker autos, and this in NO WAY is an equal replacement to me for a beautiful, classy, on card auto of a player that I kind of like (Rios).  I'm highly disappointed with this card, but I guess there's nothing that I can do...except offer it up for trade.  The only good thing about the card is that it is "uncirculated" but even that seems underwhelming to me.

While I do thank Topps for finally sending me a card...I can't help but be disappointed...it seems the least they could do is send another autograph from the same set - or at the very least, an on-card autograph.

Comments

  1. I just posted about a similar unfulfilling experience with my Topps redemptions.

    HEY TOPPS - You're doing it wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why wouldn't they send something from the same set? Topps, use your head!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe Topps wouldn't at least try to make the card they replace similar (same player or same set at the very least...)

    I'm also excited to see how many false hits I get on my blog today since I used the word booby in booby prize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once I received a redemption for a Frank Gifford auto from Topps Heritage football (05 I think), but instead they sent me an 06 Topps Chrome Auto of LenDale White. It's probably equal value, but I was sort of thinking they would want to go above equal value to satisfy the customer. Plus like you I would have rather had the card I originally pulled. It's a shame that Topps fails at this so often and then fails to provide a card the collector wants. They should at least let you take a 10-question survey about what teams, style, etc you like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to try a Topps redemption. After all these horror stories, I don't think I ever will. I have gotten about a half dozen from Upper Deck, although they were all hockey. Don't know if that made a difference or not.

    Regardless, it sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm waiting for a Matt Cain Redemption from Ticket to Boredom. Wonder what I will get...

    ReplyDelete
  7. If there is any chance thats up for trade let me know maybe I have something that you might want

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, the card is definitely up for trade - I'd much rather have cards on my want list than this thing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I Sent you an E-mail

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dude you won't believe it. Today I got in the mail the SAME EXACT CARD as a replacement for the SAME EXACT RIOS. I looked at the cards that Topps produced for replacements, and I'd rather atleast have gotten a Cano or Dawson... even an auto of Sweet Lou...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment