Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

The Barry Larkin Experiment: Round 1E (Plus Results!)

A quick formatting note before I begin:
I've decided on a slightly better naming convention, this is the fifth vote of the first round - so I'll call it Round 1E.  The previous votes being Rounds 1A, 1B, 1C, and 1D respectively (even though I won't go back through the archives to fix my titles).  

It's time for another round of Barry Larkin card voting - but before we get to the next vote, we need to see which cards are moving on to the next round and which are going nowhere but back in the binder.

Round 1C:

In round 1C, we had a runaway winner in the 1990 Upper Deck base card.  The vote for second was tight...but 1990 Upper Deck managed the clean sweep with the Larkin team checklist card winning by a single vote over the Diamond King card (!) and the Score card.  Honestly, I thought that the Diamond King card was a shoo-in to the next round but I guess I severely overestimated the popularity of early 90s Diamond King cards...  Even so, never in a million years would I have guessed that 1990 Score would tie the Diamond King card, that's embarrassing for Donruss!

Round 1D: 

In round 1D, we had out first card get shutout of the competition.  We almost had two cards shutout but the 1991 Fleer Team Leaders card must have found one Pirates fan out there to save it from the same bitter ending.  The winner by a fair margin was the 1991 Fleer All-Star card which also happens to be the first insert Larkin card featured in the voting.  Is this a sign of inserts ruling the way as we get to the votes that include more of them?  Or will cards like the second place bright yellow Fleer base card find success?  They both move on to the next round of voting so I guess time will tell.

And now, let's take a look at the next foursome to vote on.  Once again, the top two finishers move on to the next round.

Round 1E:

1991 Topps All-Star:

The 1991 Topps set is special for Reds fans because the Reds won the World Series in the previous year.  Although no mention of the World Series is on the All-Star card, it still evokes strong memories of the Reds' sweep of the A's in 1990.  In my humble opinion, this is surely a worthy card to make it to the next round.

1991 Topps base:

Of course, some people would prefer the base card to the All-Star card, this vote happens to have both such cards from the 1991 Topps set.  I like the action shot of the All-Star card better but I am more interested in classic base cards so I could see this vote going either way.

1991 Upper Deck base:

Like both 1989 and 1990, the 1991 Upper Deck set had an advantage over Topps in terms of gloss (and holographics).  The set also featured photos on the front and back of the card, something that boring 'ol Topps didn't do until the next year (and even that was only stadiums).  Will it be enough to knock out at least one of the Topps 40th Anniversary cards though?  We'll see what the voting public decides!

1991 Upper Deck Silver Slugger Insert:

I don't know the exact insertion odds for the Silver Slugger subset, but I know that I ended up with two of them as a kid - and luckily for me, one of them happened to be this particular Barry Larkin card.  Of all my early Larkins, this was the first card that I recall considering "valuable."  I'm sure Beckett would disagree with me, but eh, what does Beckett know about value anyhow?

As usual, the poll is up on the side bar of the blog - now go vote!

Comments

  1. That Pirates fan was me, and while I did follow the Pirates in 92-93 a bit, it was more for Bonilla, briefly a Cardinal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment