Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

The Barry Larkin Card Experiment: Round 4

The third round of the Barry Larkin Experiment is almost over, so let's overlap rounds by posting round 4.  Before I do that though, a quick glance at the round 3 voting (see the side bar) shows 16 votes, 6 for the '90 Upper Deck base card and 4 for the Upper Deck checklist.  In a surprise (to me), the Diamond King card only has 3 votes...the same as the 1990 Score card that I figured would end up as the first card shutout in the competition.  Shows what I know.

Round 4:

1991 Donruss:

There is something about the Reds uniform and green borders.  Unless it's Christmas time, the cards almost always end up ugly!  I'm in the minority in that I like the '91 Donruss set...but only the Series 1 design (which has blue borders).  Why Donruss decided to switch up the design for series 2 is beyond me.

1991 Fleer base:

Here's a fun vote - do you pick the green and red Donruss card or the Big Bird yellow card from the 1991 Fleer set?  Personally, I think the '91 Fleer set is severely underrated.  Sure, the yellow is a bit much but the card design is otherwise extremely solid.  I'll be disappointed if this card doesn't make it to the second round.

1991 Fleer #711 w/ Bobby Bonilla

Here's your chance Pirate fans, send a Larkin card with one of the Reds' rivals on to the second round!  On a more serious note, I actually like this card quite a bit because it celebrates the last time the Reds had a successful appearance in the post season.

1991 Fleer - All-Star Insert:

Here's what I know for sure.  At least one card from the 1991 Fleer set will end up in the second round of the competition.  You might think that this card represents one of my earliest Barry Larkin insert cards, but the truth is, I didn't acquire this card until a few years ago...  As such, I don't have the same nostalgia for this card as I do the bright yellow Fleer cards - but when it comes to the actual design this card is just as good (if not better) than the rest of the cards in this grouping.

That's the next grouping of cards to vote for.  As usual, the poll is on the sidebar (below the Round 3 poll which still has about 24 hours left to vote).  Thanks for participating!

Comments

  1. Anonymous12:33 AM

    I went with 91 fleer (base). I like the 91 insert, too - cool picture. But, I agree, though not as strongly - the 91 fleer set isn't that bad.

    And, that's a very good shot of our newest Hall of FAmer!

    -Charlie (lifetimetopps)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice short analysis of the 1991 Donruss set with the two different colored series, but I have to disagree on the better of the two series. I preferred Series 2, mainly because the green was different. For me the blue was used for 1986 and 1988 and was just sort of overdone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment