Featured Post

The Barry Larkin Experiment: Round 1R

It's time for the 18th poll in the Barry Larkin Experiment and luckily we are nearing the end of Round 1.  For now, I still have Round 1Q open (so go check out those cards and vote first - then come back here to vote on Round 1R).  Here are the four nominess for Round 1R - and as always, the top two vote getters move on to Round 2!

2003 Fleer Splendid Splinters

For the longest time, I didn't know whether this was a base card or an insert card.  Fleer sets in the early 2000s were confusing to say the least.  I do believe that this is the regular base card from the Splendid Splinters set - but I could be wrong.  I suppose I could do some research right now to figure it out - but I have a colloquium to give today on "The One Cut Problem" so I don't have much time for cards at the moment.

1998 Pinnacle Performers:
 
Once in a while, there comes along a card that has so many design deficiencies and yet the card itself still works.  To me, the '98 Pinnacle Perfomers set is a perfect example of terrible design elements that manage to work as a whole. There isn't much that I like about this card - except when viewed as a whole it's fairly snazzy (in a late 90s kind of way).  I could see this card making it to Round 2 (and maybe even beyond) but I could also see it getting shut out of the vote entirely.

2001 Topps High Definition (Topps HD)
 
The Topps HD set is a premium set with a nice and thick card stock.   Unfortunately, the card itself isn't spectacular in any way - and I hate the vertical text on the back of the card.  Will the premium tag be enough to lead this Larkin to Round 2?

2000 Fleer Focus:
 
Unlike the other cards in this round, I happen to really like the design of the Fleer Focus set.  I must be in the minority though because Focus didn't last all that long as a set if I recall correctly.  Even so, the little baseball cap on the front and the giant faded team logo on the back make for a nice looking card.  Of the four cards in this round, I'd probably cast my vote for the Focus card...but that doesn't matter (except in the case of tie-breakers) as this is a vote determined entirely by my readers!

Those are your four nominees - now go vote (you'll find the poll in the sidebar to the right).

Comments

  1. What's the deal with Topps HD, anyway? Were they printed in higher resolution??

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment