Featured Post

The Barry Larkin Experiment: Round 1T

The end of the semester is finally here, and while I still have plenty of final exams to grade, it's almost my summer break!  As such, I really want to get a move on the Barry Larkin Experiment - we are almost (finally!) finished with Round 1 - you know, the round to help us narrow down the first 100 Barry Larkin cards in my collection into a more manageable number.  Before we get to the next round of voting, let's look at last round - Round 1S.

As you can see, voting turnout was fairly poor but I attribute that to the rather weak crop of cards more than anything else.  The '96 Pacific card moved on easily but we had yet another tie, this time for second place.  You know my thoughts on the '90 Classic card (yuck!) so my tie breaking vote goes to 2002 Topps Total.

Now that the old stuff is out of the way, let's look at the next group of cards to vote on!  (You can find the poll on the right side of the blog)!

Round 1T:

1994 Tombstone Pizza:
 
The '95 Tombstone Pizza card won it's round of voting (back in Round 1Q).  Will the '94 card also reign victorious and bring more glory to the "odd ball" cards?  Personally, I think the '95 design was quite a bit stronger - but that's mostly because I don't usually like black bordered cards (except Ginter minis!).

 1991 Woolworth:
 
I don't have a huge number of oddball Larkin cards in my collection, but as luck would have it, the first two in this particular round of voting are both oddballs!   Personally, I like this Woolworth card a lot more than the Tombstone card - it probably helps that Topps designed the card (and that it doesn't have a black border)!  It also doesn't hurt that 1991 was the year after the Reds won the World Series and all was right in the world.

 1987 Toys-R-Us:
 
I know I said I don't usually care for black bordered cards - but once in awhile I make an exception...this particular card is one of those exceptions!  1987 was Larkin's rookie year in terms of baseball cards so this is one of the only oddball rookie cards that I own!  It's a really sharp looking card, though I would have preferred the nameplate not be green and yellow (ew).  Even so, I'll be sad if this card doesn't make it out of this round!

 1990 Bowman:
 
Yuck. In a round with only one "regular" card, I sure hope that it ends up being two oddballs moving on to the next round.  I never cared much for Bowman (and quite honestly I still don't like Bowman)...  Even worse, the back of the card is one of the most boring designs you can possibly imagine, even if it is a neat idea.

Those are your nominees for the next round - make your voice heard, go vote on the sidebar right now!

Comments

  1. Summer break? It snowed here yesterday!

    Where I'm from, colleges don't get out until mid-May.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I had about 4 inches at my house on Monday morning when I left to drive to work... It felt weird wishing students a "happy summer" knowing that I would be driving back into a snowstorm later in the day! Weird weather this year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment