Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

The Barry Larkin Experiment: Round 1U

My blog has been a busy place lately - both in terms of my actions (group break, trades, etc.) and in terms of viewership!  Hopefully I can harness some of that energy and turn it into votes for the next round of the Barry Larkin Experiment.  Before I reveal the next round of cards to vote on, we must look at the results from Round 1T.

As you can see, Round 1U featured 3 (out of a possible 4) oddball Larkin cards!  In a slight upset, the 1994 Tombstone card took first place, narrowly edging out Larkin's 1987 Toys-R-Us rookie card!  Both the '91 Woolworth and the '90 Bowman managed a pair of votes which suggests that this grouping was one of the closer groups thus far (only three votes separated first from last)!

Now, moving on to the next round.  Remember, the poll is in the sidebar to the right!  

Round 1U:

1988 Donruss:
The 1988 Donruss set seems to be one of the least favorite sets among most bloggers, but honestly, I'm not sure why.  Sure, it screams 80s (but why shouldn't it - the set was designed and printed in the 80s)!  I think I like the 1991 Donruss set better (which is similar in design) but even so, this isn't a bad card and I wouldn't be embarrassed if it happens to make it to the next round!

1992 Fleer Ultra:
Whenever a set has the word "ultra" in its title, the set better be awesome.  Luckily, Fleer knew what they were doing when they made the set - just compare this set to say the '92 Topps set and you'll see calling it "ultra" seems fair!  I think I like the back of the card better than the front though, which is kind of strange since most people usually ignore the backs (at least when the cards are in a binder)!

1990 Score Dream Team:
In the early '90s, Score was known for all sorts of crazy subsets.  While this card isn't anything special, it is unique when you see it among the full Score set - the Dream Team subset really stands out from the other base cards!  As far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing since subsets should feel special!  

1987 Sportflics:
In the previous round, Larkin's '87 Toys-R-Us card made it to the next portion of the challenge.  Will the '87 Sportflic card have similar success or have we reached our quote of 1987 cards for Round 2?

We have a nice variety of cards this time around - and I have no idea which two will make it to the next round.  In fact, I don't even know which card I could safely say won't make it...

Comments

  1. I have to go with the Fleer Ultra. This was an attractive set all around, as was the 1992 Topps Stadium Club (in its simplicity), but as you said, Fleer stamped it with the Ultra and then backed it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually voted for '88 Donruss (yes, I need help). I am growing to like 88 Donruss more and more. And it is vastly more pleasing than '91 Donruss, which I despise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Careful there Night Owl, the '88 Donruss has been proven to cause seizures if shuffled through for too long or too fast.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment